Wednesday, November 18, 2009

November 20, 2009: Blind Side, Planet 51, New Moon

There are three movies opening this weekend, one rather large one, and two others, whose studio executives are brave enough to release movies against one of the most anticipated movies of the year.

Let's get the small fry out of the way. First up is Planet 51 (PLT51), an animated movie about an astronaut who ends up on another planet, where the aliens look and act a lot like earthlings. I like the trailer, I think it's a funny concept, particularly for a kid's movie. Not many people seem to agree with me - the stock has been tanking, dropping from H$57 just a month ago to H$38 today. Much of that, I am sure, is because traders are assuming that Twilight 2 will overwhelm everything in its path. I'm not so sure - that's going to be a big hit, but primarily with young women. The strike price is H$20, which seems very high today, although it made sense a month ago. Call is (P51CA) not doing too badly, considering, just below H$2. The put (P51PU), as expected, is doing well, aiming at H$4. The CX derivative on HSX, interestingly, has followed the same trajectory, but hit a higher high (H$64), and is still in the mid H$50's. On cantorexchange.com, the same security is down to $45. It's opening on 2,600+ screens, which is a good wide release. There aren't enough reviews to get a good feel at rottentomatoes.com. So it doesn't look good - most of the signs are negative, except for the fact that the trailer is entertaining. Still, at this price, it also looks like a good deal. The second weekend for this movie will be Thanksgiving weekend, so assuming the word of mouth is even remotely decent, it should delist well above the adjust.
Stock: Long
Call: Short
Put: Long
CX on HSX: Short
Cantor: Long


Bringing us rather powerfully down to earth is The Blind Side (BLDSD), Sandra Bullock starring in a true story about a Southern woman who takes in a young African American man. It's supposed to be for one night, but ends up being forever. That young man is now an NFL left tackle (hence the title - the left tackle defends a quarterback's blind side). The trailer is inspirational as all get-out. It's a great role for Sandra Bullock, a solid contrast to her other two roles this year. It's a powerful combination: a Southern woman, football, and a big, potentially threatening, African American young man. There's going to be a whole lot of redemption up there on the screen. This is going to play very, very well in the South. Which means that it may very well be underestimated on the coasts. The stock has been mostly moving up, and is around H$41. Strike price is appropriately set at H$15. Call (BSDCA) is below IPO, at H$1.61 as of this writing. Hmmm. But a $15 million opening weekend would translate to an adjust of H$40.5. So the call is predicting that the stock will not adjust much, if at all. The put (BSDPU) is moving up smartly, heading towards H$3. The CX option on HSX (BLDSD.CX) has been floating in the mid-H$40's, but trending down. On cantorexchange, however, it's up $3 today to $43. It's doing exceptionally well on RT so far, with 73% positive. It's also on 3,100+ screens. There is one strong positive: Tim McGraw is in it. You don't get more Southern star power than Tim McGraw, with the possible exception of his wife. His presence will give it all kinds of credibility where it counts.
Stock: Long
Call: Long
Put: Short
CX on HSX: Long
Cantor: Long





Then there's this little movie called The Twilight Saga: New Moon (TWLI2) about some cute undead guys. I can almost hear the shrieking teenage girls from here. I haven't read the books and have no intention of doing so. I didn't see the first movie and have no intention of doing so. So I'm not the best judge of where this is going, but I do sense a little bit of a backlash. Maybe that's because I am so uninterested in it myself. The stock has been climbing, of course, and is at H$260, or about a $96 million opening weekend. The strike price is H$90, and the call (TW2CA) is soaring, almost at H$9. Lots of people are very optimistic about this one. The put (TW2PU) reflects the same sentiment, dropping below IPO. There's a Holiday Warrant (HWTW2), with a strike price of H$220. That's in the clouds, too, at H$20. The CX option is, of course, higher than the stock, at H$273. It's only at 53% on RT at this point, but who cares? It's going out on a bazillion - sorry, only 4,000+ - screens. The price on cantorexchange.com, however, is below the price on HSX; it's at $245. That's unusual. I'm going to watch this carefully, but I am thinking that $90 million is optimistic for this opening weekend. The fans of the series are fanatical, but this is limited to one segment of the population. I just don't see a lot of guys going to this movie. An $80 million opening weekend would still make it a smashing success.
Stock: Short
Call: Short
Put: Long
Holiday Warrant: Long
CX on HSX: Short
Cantor: Short



Wow, I don't think I have ever been so wrong on an HSX prediction. New Moon didn't just open above $90 million - it grossed almost that much on its opening day. It cleared $140 million. Never underestimate the power of teenage girls! I got everything except the holiday warrant wrong. Fortunately, I caught my mistake early, and reversed position on Cantor. I wasn't soon enough to reverse my position on HSX, but at least I made money somewhere. I did get everything right about The Blind Side, so the weekend wasn't a total wash. That did extremely well, clearing $34 million, and adjusting up by H$53. Nicely done, Ms. Bullock. Planet 51 didn't do all that well, only pulling in $12 million, and adjusting down by H$4. I was wrong on the stock, but right about the call and put. It's too early to tell if I got the CX derivative or the Cantor stock right. It is possible to make a judgment about the other two movies and their CX/Cantor securities - I was right about Blind Side, wrong about TWLI2. So I got 8 right and 6 wrong, but I got the big one wrong. I will never live this one down. But I learned from it!

No comments:

Post a Comment